Liberty Science Center is seeking up to 20 Summer Guest Ambassadors to provide excellent customer care to our enthusiastic guests from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Ambassadors are the first point of contact with our guests and play a vital role in providing a quality experience from the moment visitors walk through our doors to the moment they exit. The Guest Ambassador is the heartbeat of the frontline team and is essential to fostering an environment that is safe, engaging, enjoyable, and conducive to learning. Summer Guest Ambassadors will work in a variety of galleries and experiences throughout the building to engage guests, answer questions, resolve issues, control crowds and lines, and oversee the condition, presentation, and safety of all public spaces.
Summer Guest Ambassadors report to the Guest Experience management team.
What You’ll Bring
Charismatic, energetic, and friendly, your customer-service focus and positivity drives our goal to continuously improve what our guests experience at Liberty Science Center. Along with your customer service expertise, you:
- Enjoy speaking in public and getting to know our visitors.
- Take initiative and are quick to solve problems and offer creative solutions
- Work well within a team-based setting.
- Possess strong judgment. You make decisions that keep the guest experience in mind and know when it is appropriate to refer to a supervisor
- Uphold a consistently high level of enthusiasm and energy whether it is a busy or slow day
- Thrive in an ever-changing, high-energy environment and demonstrate flexibility by following direction and adjusting to changing policies and procedures
- Love to have a good time! You are ready to play and interact with guests of all ages (heavy focus on children 3-13)
What You’ll Do
All Summer Guest Ambassadors will be scheduled to work in our Box Office or in our galleries, planetarium, or other experiences.
- Personally provide excellent, gold standard customer service at all times
- Contribute to a positive team-based workplace culture that embraces and advances team goals through peer coaching and modeling
- Demonstrate leading performance that sets the standard for others, including stellar attendance and reliability, exceptional guest experience, and carrying oneself with the utmost professionalism
- Serve as an advocate for guests while simultaneously promoting the interests of LSC, by communicating with a variety of diverse guests to ensure a positive museum experience and resolving visitors’ concerns and complaints to their satisfaction and LSC’s
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of all Liberty Science Center offerings including exhibitions, theater programs, events, programs, etc.
- Manage crowds and queues calmly and efficiently
- Assist in training of new hires to the highest of service standards
- Leader in safety and cleanliness. Assists in cleaning duties as assigned
- Provide assistance with special events and programming as needed
- Accomplish other tasks, duties and responsibilities as requested and assigned
Ambassadors working on the Floor in our Galleries, Planetarium, and other Experiences
- Greet and welcome guests as they enter the Science Center as well as throughout the building and assist guests with orientation and directions
- Cultivate a positive and enriching experience for LSC guests by engaging guests within exhibits, answering questions, and presenting information clearly and accurately
- Oversee and monitor the condition, presentation, and safety of all public spaces and assist in the preparation and closing of all public spaces
Ambassadors working in the Box Office
- Provide high quality, end-to-end care of LSC guests including online ticket purchasers, walk-up customers, and LSC members at all operational ticketing stations
- Ensure all guests are well informed on all currently available LSC experiences
- Maintain an accurate register throughout the day and successfully reconcile all on-site payments, check-ins, and ticket/voucher redemptions
- Accurately input data into LSC’s ticketing system (Tessitura)
- Operate within the Box Office according to policies and procedures to provide the most safe and efficient environment as possible for guests and coworkers
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Applied knowledge of superior guest experience standards
- Outstanding peer modeling, coaching, and training capabilities
- Strong teaming and collaboration skills
- Exceptional communication and de-escalation skills
- Creative and resourceful problem solving skills
- Ability to work well as a team member or independently
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- High school diploma or GED
- Prior success in the delivery of quality customer service in a fast-paced environment is a huge plus!
The hourly rate for this position is $16.00 per hour. Ambassadors may work a schedule that ranges from 15-32 hours per week on average.
During the summer Liberty Science Center will be open to the public Tuesday through Sunday. Summer Guest Ambassadors must be available to work Saturdays and Sundays between Memorial Day and Labor Day in addition to 1-2 weekdays. Opportunities to work evening events will also be available. Shifts may range from 4 - 8 hours in duration.
Covid-19 Safety Requirements
Until further notice all LSC employees must adhere to the following protocols which are designed to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in the workplace.
- Be up to date on COVID-19 vaccinations, unless you have a documented medical or religious accommodation
- Must show proof of vaccination
- Wear a properly fitted face mask (LSC provides high-grade masks to all employees.)
- Complete a digital Kokomo health screening prior to reporting to LSC
This Summer Guest Ambassador is a position that offers an opportunity to work a part-time schedule during the summer. This role is non-exempt, meaning it is eligible for overtime for work that exceeds 40 hours per week. All overtime must be approved in advance by the supervisor.
The physical and environmental requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions .
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must also be able to stand for extended periods of time while interacting with the public. The position requires the ability to navigate LSC on concrete floors, bend/lift/stretch, tolerate high levels of noise, navigate crowds, and publically speak. This role also requires the ability to work outdoors, including navigating uneven ground and being exposed to varied weather elements. The ability to lift 25 pounds is required.
LSC’s Work Culture at a Glimpse
Liberty Science Center’s culture can best be described as a fun, creative, collaborative, and casual working environment.
Liberty Science Center is located in a beautiful waterfront state park in Jersey City, New Jersey. Not only is Jersey City easy to get to from any points in Northern NJ and Manhattan, but it also holds the title of the most diverse city in the United States. Employees have access to free on-site parking and easy access to mass transit, including the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail and the NJ Path train. In addition, all employees have access to outdoor spaces with stunning NYC views.
Liberty Science Center is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and innovative environment with the best employees. We, therefore, provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military service, marital status or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Temporary
Pay: $16.00 per hour